Friday, June 28, 2013

~ Friday flowers - pink icebergs ~






 










I posted some shots on instagram this week of a bunch of roses from my garden and several people seemed amazed we still had roses blooming in winter.

Quite a few of my roses are still hanging in there, mainly because we are a bit slow with the pruning shears I suspect.   The icebergs down the side of the house are still throwing up lots of buds and looking beautifully cheery though.  I brought a bunch in today and went crazy with the camera.  Interestingly, the blushing pink iceberg, is a Tassie variant - it makes a pretty variation on the plain white ones we have lining our front fence.

Hope you have a lovely weekend - we have several birthday parties, soccer and hockey - busy and fun times.  I'm also hoping to finish reading The Great Gatsby.  I saw the film last night for a school fundraiser and whilst amazed at the gorgeous costuming and lavish sets I felt it lacked an emotional connection with the audience.  I can't remember if the characters in the book felt so distant.  Have you seen the film/read the book recently?  What did you think?


11 comments:

  1. Oh my your shots are beautiful! That last one - wow. I have a heap of white icebergs still in bloom, but that's about it. I planted brilliant pink iceberg last year and it is very pretty. Years ago I visited Lillia Weatherley's garden in Claremont and it was stunning!
    I haven't seen Gatsby yet, hopefully this weekend or soon at least.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby severely hacked all our white ones (his version of pruning) and they are struggling a bit now - I have no doubts they'll fight back though
      I'd love to visit that garden
      x

      Delete
  2. Stunning pics Ally! What camera/lens are you using? :-)
    Enjoy your weekend! After a crazy and pretty stressful week I'm looking forward to some peace and quiet!

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sarah
      I've got a Nikon D80 and a gorgeous macro lens (105mm f2.8) - which I don't use often enough - too lazy with my phone sadly.

      Delete
    2. Thank-you! I think I'll have to look at getting a macro for my camera one day...

      Delete
  3. These photos and flowers are stunningly beautiful! I still haven't finished re-reading The Great Gatsby and I haven't seen the film yet. I've heard lots of people thought the costumes and film was wonderfully shot, but didn't really stack up to the novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naomi
      I'm hoping the book is as good as I remember cos the movie was a little disappointing

      Delete
  4. So pretty. I haven't seen the movie but my 13 yr old son has & he loved it- is now keen to read the book. I have it somewhere but I have a feeling I lent it to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are breathtakingly beautiful Ally. Our roses were pruned yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you - in fact it will probably make my day