I'm packing up the house this weekend and we're heading to the shack for a couple of weeks
(please tell me I'm not going to be haunted by the ghost of Christmas past and years of bad luck for packing up too early ... I usually leave it for the 12 days after Christmas but we won't be here... and already the house feels lighter, more summery)
We've packed cricket bats, bikes, kayaks, boogie boards, skim balls, wet suits, tennis racquets, totem tennis, kits, roller blades... the car is overflowing with stuff to keep us busy and active and having fun ...but what I'm secretly looking forward to the most is some time on my towel reading a book with my toes in the sand and breaks for swims and icy pole.
This is what I'm taking:
- Q&A a day for kids is an activity book we've been doing for the last month or so - it last 3 years and every day the kids answer a prompt - good fun - and creating memories as we go.
- Barracuda - I found "the slap" one of the most confronting books I'd read for ages - I'm expecting a lot from this
- Life after Life - I really like Kate Atkinson's style - clever and entertaining - and a groundhog day theme - should be good.
- The signature of all things - I loathed Eat, Pray, Love but so many people have recommended this that I couldn't resist - I hope I don't regret it!
- The narrow road to the deep north - one of my hubby's books - this will be last as I won't get a try until he's finished
- Burial Rites - I think I must be the only person I know who hasn't read this yet - based on a true story with guaranteed tragic ending - I see tears coming.
What's in your summer reading pile? Any recommendations for me?